Bring the kids: Cycle Massachusetts has a NEW family-friendly weekend option!
Cambridge, MA – January 19, 2016. It’s been the Friendliest Ride in the East for 10 years now, but Cycle Massachusetts (formerly known as the Mass BikePike Tour) is extending their friendly reputation to welcome a new group of cyclists: kids!
Although families have joined the tour throughout the ride’s history, in 2016 Cycle Massachusetts is adding a truly family-friendly weekend option:
- Kids 11 and under ride and eat for FREE
- Shorter manageable tour routes on quiet roads. Ride to Old Sturbridge Village, with shuttle service available in either direction.
- Evening activities – maybe even a campfire with s’mores
- Ride to the famous Publick House to pick up goodies at their famous bakery
- Outdoor kid-friendly movie
- Saturday afternoon ice cream social
Sarah J, from Danvers MA, who rode for the first time at age 8, says: “Cycle Mass is fun because everybody is kind and helps anyone in need. Cycle Mass is also a great way to meet new friends. If you get tired, you can get picked up by a sag wagon. You can have a snack any time at the rest stops. There are fun activities every evening.”
Of course the Cycle Massachusetts tour has plenty of options for unaccompanied grown-ups, and it’s a particularly beautiful route this year:
- One ride – four states! Not only do we explore Massachusetts, but we’ll ride the quiet roads of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York as well
- There’s an option for just about every schedule – join us for a weekend, or 4, 5, or the amazing 7 day tour
- Back to the Berkshires! We’ll explore the quiet roads of this legendary region. We even have an “Alice’s Restaurant” ride to celebrate the scenes of this famous song
- From ice cream shops to friendly farmstands to roadside museums, Massachusetts is best enjoyed at a bicycling pace. Beautifully-designed routes feature quiet roads, and you’ll have many options of how far to ride.
We’re excited to welcome riders to our fantastic start/finish location at Nichols College in Dudley, Massachusetts. With two nights on their lovely campus, two nights in the cultural mecca of Great Barrington, and a night each in Agawam and Suffield, CT, riders will have time to explore the most scenic vistas, visit local landmarks, and savor each experience with new friends.
Cycle Massachusetts is from July 30th through August 5th (2, 4, 5, and 7 day options available) and all proceeds support the Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition. It’s all available for one low fee – and even better, all proceeds go to support the Massbike. Your vacation will help everyone in Massachusetts enjoy safer bicycling!
Cycle Massachusetts isn’t just about the bike – it’s the unique camaraderie that keeps riders returning year after year. From a daily “social hour”, to sharing stories over delicious hearty meals, to nightly entertainment or excursions to local attractions, to s’mores at the campfire – it’s like summer camp for all!
“At a biking pace, you can stop and discover so many things you wouldn’t see otherwise – it was really wonderful!” -rider Nathalie Apchin of Milton
Dates: July 30th through August 5th (2, 4, 5, and 7 day options available)
One ride, many choices!
- 7 day (Sat-Fri) $795
- 5 day (Mon-Fri) $575
- 4 day (Sat-Tue) $465
- 2 day (Sat-Sun) $175
Where: Dudley (2 nights), Great Barrington (2 nights), Agawam, and Suffield, CT.
Start/finish location is Nichols College in Dudley, MA
How long? Cycle Massachusetts offers two routes each day. The shorter route is between 30-40 miles and the longer route is usually between 45-70 miles.
For riders getting back in the saddle: Riders who want to shorten their distance can use the free “Head Start Drop-Off” service that allows participants to start up to 20 miles into the route.
The food: We provide a hearty catered hot breakfast every day except registration day. Lunch is “on your own” and enjoyed along the day’s route – we’ll have suggestions of some fantastic local eateries. We’ll enjoy delicious catered dinners at our overnight locations.
Creature comforts: This is a camping tour that includes hot showers. The very-popular “Comfy Campers” service is available for those who prefer to camp in style.
Included: Tent and gear transportation, daily ride choices, cue sheet/GPS files/maps, route notes, most meals, camping privileges, nightly entertainment, tour t-shirt, parking during the tour
Sign up today: The registration deadline is July 15th, and Cycle Massachusetts is limited to 150 riders! An early-bird discount of $25 for the 7, 5, and 4 day rides ends March 1st.
Organization Name: Cycle Massachusetts